When I’m painting, the whole world seems to disappear. Lately, I’ve been putting on the Gaia channel, usually to some interview or another, and listen to it while I paint. Except that after about 10 minutes or so, I’m no longer listening; I’m just painting and focusing on color mixing and where the painting wants me to go next.
Since I’ve got a month between shows at the moment, I thought I’d put up a few eBay auctions on so paintings. As of this writing, I only have ACEO’s up, but I’d like to get some larger paintings up as well.
I have always loved ladybugs. I remember going out on the ranch when I was younger and looking for ladybugs. I’d talk to them, or rescue them if I found them in an area where it might be dangerous for them (they were down too low and the irrigation water was coming, they were in a patch of grass about to be invaded by swimmers coming in to set up for the swim meet, etc.). They use to come and land on me all the time; they still do, but not as frequently because I’m not outside as much. It was actually because one landed on me, sparking my memories, that I decided there would be ladybugs in this picture.
I suspect we’ll be seeing more ladybug pictures in the future. For now, I have started here.
Today is the last day for Twin Falls Art in the Park. I have several new pieces available (I am writing this a little ahead of time, so by the time this posts, they may have been sold – fingers crossed), but I wanted to give you a chance to see some of them. Especially since not everyone can just pop off to Twin Falls, Idaho, for the afternoon.
Then a similar piece done with a dragonfly.
And an old country gate.
Several other new pieces are there as well as my books.
Once again, I’m going to start with the last picture of the prior painting blog. This is where I was at when I started “fixing” the nebula. I almost stopped here, but I felt like the colors were too soft now.
Black needed added in.
I knew I needed to make the color more dramatic. It just felt too soft and everything blended without a draw for the eyes. So I intensified the hues with another layer. If you look carefully at the next picture, you can also see the splattering of stars.
Time for the final stars and highlights on several of them. There are 7 glittering stars in that sky created by the dreams of a tree.
Honestly, I never expected the nebula to give the problems that it did. I thought I had this.
Okay, here is the last picture from the last blog so you can recall what it looked like.
Here I blended the colors together. Oh, and I also added the sparkles to the tree which I wanted.
So I thought it was all well at this point. I just needed to add in some dark spots.
That was when I realized I had a mess. Giving the top a moment to dry, I filled in the ground beneath the tree. I wasn’t certain that I even wanted ground, but after I got it in, I decided that it had been the right thing to do.
I had the thought at this point that I wanted the nebula to reflect the colors of the tree. I went back to some reference pictures of nebulae and tried to decide what I wanted to do. Here’s what came about:
I’m going to leave this blog here for now. I’ll post the final on Saturday. As I will be out at the Jerome Music Booster craft show from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., you can come see the real deal there.