It was a date, remember?

So on yesterday’s blog, I showed some pictures of a space painting I’d been working on in 2018 and thought I had done.

But then, as any good tale would have, conflict struck.

I painted another picture that made it look like garbage. Well, what’s an artist supposed to do?

I’d say that the correct answer is not to pull is back up on the easel and keep working on it, but I know that’s exactly what a lot of painters do. But I do understand the need to let something hang for a bit so you can look at it just to let your mind mull it over.

So let’s talk about this painting.

I started this painting the same night that I started the other two paintings, but I was way too embarrassed to show it. I honestly thought I’d be painting over it. I mean, what do you do when you have a mess like this to start off with? So I let it sit with some creative procrastination for a while. I figured if I didn’t look at it, I wouldn’t think about how badly I would feel at having to paint it over because it was a horrible start. However, I had some ideas I wanted to experiment with, so I decided I’d play and see what happened. I figured it was only a 8″x10″ flat panel canvas, so who cared if I messed it up so badly that I ended up breaking it in half over my knee like a ninja master? If nothing else, I would learn something.

But I sure as heck wouldn’t advertise my intent to fail.

Nope.

I took a picture for me to document my learning process and didn’t show it to anyone.

Then, on January 1st, I decided it was time to pull out the painting and play with it. How better to get a start at painting for the new year than to learn if I could or couldn’t pull this painting out of the fire.

This was the next layer. Honestly, by now I was a little wowed by the hole thing. It was so simple, and yet so pretty. Just brushstrokes.

Look at the depth now starting to come into this piece. There was a part of me that wanted to stop right here.

But, I’m a fool and I pressed on.

Here it is finished:

Yes, there are parts of this I wish I’d been able to express some self-control on, but I do wish the picture did it justice too. I’m happy with the lessons it taught me and and that I managed to save a painting I wasn’t sure would work out.

So, for hoots and giggles, let’s look at the “finished” painting from yesterday compared to this on:

I hope you see what I mean when I said it nearly made me want to cry. The “finished” painting seemed so clumsy and blockish compared to the smooth grace of the new one.

Now let’s see them both together after that 1st one had the reworking:

What a dramatic improvement, don’t you think?

I wonder what will get cooked up this weekend on my easel. Just after I continue working on my edits for Tangled Magic.

Progress – December 10, 2018

As I predicted last week, this week was a challenge with Adrian’s play going on. But, it all worked out anyway.

I went to see his play, The Puppet Tree, twice. Here’s a picture on him with one of the puppets he played.

img_6786

Coordinating schedules and getting home to let the dogs outside too up a major chunk of time. Clearing up a clogged sink also didn’t help matters. Many times I wasn’t even beginning to write my words until 11:00 p.m.

Plus I was finishing up a newsletter to get out last weekend. Fun stuff.

Then there was the major breakthrough on Cirvel’s story which helped to clear up a lot of the questions I’ve had about all of it. Unfortunately, I wasn’t in a position to write all of it down when I got it, so I later captured what I remembered and I’m waiting for the rest to return. I know it will, but I must be patient about it.

Continue reading

Space painting – WIP

I mentioned in a couple of my progress blogs that I’d been painting. I have been experimenting recently with space nebulae.

Had to teach myself the valuable lesson of having fun once again a couple nights ago during my painting session. I was trying so hard not to mess up a painting I was working on, even though it was study painting and I should have been exploring concepts rather than trying to do a “masterpiece.” So guess what happened?

Yep, I messed it up. I was so not happy with it. I decided to play around with the mess I had on my canvas.

Wow! Rather than pulling my paint with the brush over the canvas, I started to push it. Because I had such a mess, I was getting incredible results. Well, I thought they were. Here’s what resulted:

img_6764

While waiting for this one to dry, I started a new canvas and I just let this playful state I’d reached have at it. Here’s it’s result:

Continue reading

Alert! The eggs are at play!

Just a reminder that Eggs at Play released for Kindle this week.

EggsAtPlayCover

I do have the other platforms (mainly Kobo, Nook, and iBooks) as well as print coming soon.

This is a new process for me – not something I have down as slick as publishing normal books. The epub version (which is why none of the other platforms are ready) has all sorts of coding issues to it. I’ve decided to resize the print book since I really had nothing working on it (yeah, that’s a mess of I-don’t-even-know-where-to-begin).

I’m glad for the struggle. I’m forced to think outside the box and learn something new, even as frustrating as it is. Yes, the eggs are definitely amuck and reeking havoc on this book. When I’m done, I will truly feel as if I’ve conquered.